Chemical Biology Innovation Group (CBIG) meetings highlight research-in-progress by chemical biologists on the UC Davis campus. Each meeting has speakers presenting projects that are mature, with the talks often focused on recently submitted or published papers. These meetings are open to all students and faculty conducting research at the interface of chemistry and biology.
All meetings are held on select Wednesdays throughout the academic year in the Alumni Center (AGR Room) from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm. Due to COVID measures, all 2020-2021 CBIG meetings will occur virtually this year.
April 21, 2021
- Jess San Juan (Heffern lab): Investigating the Role of Copper in Mediating Interactions Between Proinsulin C-peptide and Serum Albumin
- Angela Zhang (Atsumi lab): Microbial Production of Human Milk Oligosaccharide Lactodifucotetraose
March 31, 2021
- Diana Cuda (Ames lab): NMR and EPR-DEER Structure of a Dimeric Guanylate Cyclase Activator Protein-5 from Zebrafish Photoreceptors
- Calvin Ly (Olson lab): Psychedelic-Inspired Biosensor for Drug Discovery
February 17, 2021
- Andrew Muchlinski (Zerbe lab): Mechanistic Insight Into Terpenoid Metabolism In Bioenergy and Medicinal Plants
January 27, 2021 (recording available to view here!) =
- Peishan Huang (Siegel lab): Integrating In Silico Modeling & Experimental Characterizations For Enzyme Engineering
- RJ Tombari (Olson lab): Development of Tabernanthalog, a Novel Compound With Therapeutic Potential
December 9, 2020
- Aidin Balo (Britt Lab): Trapping a Crosslinked Lysine–Tryptophan Radical Intermediate in the Catalytic Cycle of the Radical SAM Enzyme SuiB
- Erin Doherty (Beal Lab) :Rational Design of Oligonucleotide Guide Strands for Site-directed RNA Editing
November 12, 2020
- Professor Nitzan Shabek: Structural insights into Plant Signaling Regulation by the Ubiquitin System
- Merve Demir (David Lab) :Structural and Mechanistic Insights into OG Recognition and Adenine Excision by MutY
February 26, 2020
- Phillip Gingrich (Tantillo Lab): Computational Predictions of Cytochrome P450 Mediated Oxidations
- Axe (Yixuan) Xie (Lebrilla Lab): Mapping Cell Surface Glycan-protein Interactions in situ using Oxidation Proteomics and Cross-linking Mass Spectrometry
January 15, 2020
- Professor Patrick Shih: Discovery of a missing link in the evolution of Rubisco
- Postdoctoral Research Scholar Lu Zhang (Lam Lab): Transformable peptide nanoparticles arrest HER2 signalling and cause cancer cell death in vivo
October 16, 2019
- Prof. Oliver Fiehn : Using Metabolomic Databases and Text Mining to Find Clues About Metabolism
- Alexander Thuy-Boun (Beal/Fisher Labs): Structural Characterization of an ADAR Dimer in RNA Editing
April 24, 2019
- Antonio Gomez (Segal Lab): "Epigenetic Editing in Cancer and Development"
- Riyao Li (Chen Lab): "Chemoenzymatic Synthetic Strategy for N. meningitidis W Capsular Polysaccharide"
March 13, 2019
- Prof. Philipp Zerbe: "Investigating Terpenoid Metabolic Diversity Toward Biotechnology Applications"
- Prof. Dylan Murray: "Assembly of the Tropomyosin Intermediate Filament Tail Domain"
January 20, 2019
- Diana Cudia (Ames Lab): "NMR Studies of Guanylate Cyclase Activating Protein-5 (GCAP5)"
- Jackson Zhu (Kurth Lab): "Mechanistic Approach to Reaction Discovery: From Heterocycles to Photoswitches"
November 7, 2018
May 30, 2018
- Marcus Moreno (Lagarias Lab): "Structural insights to chromophore binding in a novel Far-red Cyanobacteriochrome"
- Derek Gagnon (Britt Lab): "Utilizing EPR to Characterize Protein Metallation Sites and Radical Intermediates"
April 25, 2018
- Scott Suter (Beal Lab): "Major groove modifications in the seed region of an siRNA can control its miRNA-like off-target effects"
- Morgan Matson (Atsumi Lab): "Electrical-biological hybrid system for CO2 reduction"
March 7, 2018
- Dr. Karen Wagner (Hammock Lab)
"Small Molecule Inhibitors of soluble Epoxide Hydrolase in Nociception"
- Doug Banda (David Lab)
"Pro-survival enzyme MUTYH kills cells in response to alkylation DNA damage: A biochemical approach"
January 31, 2018
- Joshua Wood (Associate Director, Mouse Biology Program)
"Next Generation Tools and Techniques for the Efficient Production of CRISPR-Animal Models Translatable to the Clinic"
- Youtian Ciu (Siegel Lab)
"Genomic enzyme mining and enzyme engineering enable a novel pathway for the production of 3-hydroxypropionic acid"
November 15, 2017
- Xiaoxiao Shi, PhD (Goodin Lab)
"Conformational studies of cytochrome P450s in solution by Double Electron-Electron Resonance (DEER)"
- Guodong Rao (Britt Lab)
"Organometallic intermediates in [FeFe] hydrogenase bioassembly"
May 31, 2017
- Henny O'Geen, PhD (Segal Lab)
"Targetable Epigenome Editing with dCas9/CRISPR”
- Qinhong Yu (Ames Lab)
"Structural Basis of Light Activated Signaling by the Red/Green Cyanobacteriochrome, NpR6012g4"
April 12, 2017
- Professor Delmar Larsen
"Primary Events underlying the Biological Activity in Photoreceptors"
- Rich Squitieri (Shaw Lab)
"Construction of Carbon-Carbon Bonds by Enantioselective C-H Insertion Reactions of Donor-Donor Metal Carbenoids"
March 1, 2017
- Andrew Burch (Franz Lab)
"Progress towards understanding microalgal lipid accumulation mechanisms during abiotic stress"
- Vikrant Singh, PhD (Wulff Lab)
"Synthetic THR Modulators: Curious case of NH-3 and EBI"
January 18, 2017
- Jackson Zhu (Kurth Lab)
"Potent CFTR Activator as a Potential Therapy for Constipation"
- Mariana Barboza, PhD (Lebrilla Lab)
"Development of a Glycoproteomic Platform to Unravel the Complexity of Brain N-Glycoproteins"
November 30, 2016